Monday, April 19, 2010

What a hectic week!

This past week was a whirlwind...First, I lost my phone last Tuesday while I spontaneously decided to go to one store at the mall after work. I hadn't bought new clothes in so long I really wanted a new shirt to wear in San Diego with one of my 4 new pairs of shoes. Anyhow, I lost it and frantically had to get a new phone since I was leaving at 7 am the next morning to fly to San Diego for the AudiologyNOW! convention. Yikes! Because I liked my phone so much, I had to get the same Blackberry Bold. I can hear well with it and it has all the texting/emailing options I need. I made sure I got insurance this time....

Then I flew out to San Diego the next morning, this time going through the metal detector with my CI processor and hearing aid on, and magically, I did not set it off and no one questioned me. I can personally say that the myth that a cochlear implant will set off a metal detector, erase the stored maps in the processor, or getting zapped are not true. At least for me, these incidences failed to be true.

I talked and talked to many people at the convention and talked and talked some more in Phoenix over the weekend while visiting family on the way back to Dallas. All this time, I wore my CI, except for part of Wednesday and part of Sunday when the batteries went dead and I didn't have extras with me. But throughout all this time, I have not had time to practice or concentrate hearing with my CI alone. So today, I feel that I am still hearing buzzing sounds that are loud some times (like my voice and other people's voices close by) and quiet at other times and sharper when I hear silverware clinging, my turn signal, and shoes click clacking against hardwood floors. This week, I vow to take the time to practice using my CI alone and to try the aural rehab program "Sound and Way Beyond" provided by Cochlear Corp. This is on top of all the other things I have on my to-do list!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are getting a little better (except for losing your phone). Joey gets his new hearing aids tomorrow!!! Love your updates. Keep up the good work and continued luck with your CI.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie, I am in a similar boat to you right now- I've been deaf since 3 and just had my nucleus 5 activated on wednesday, so its been 3 days today, and I am only experiencing pulses and surges. There is no "sound" yet at all. I look forward to reading more of what's to come since I am seemingly following in your trajectory. My little sister, by the way, is completing her AuD at Gallaudet right now. Best of luck for graduating!

    ReplyDelete