Thursday, April 1, 2010

I'm exhausted! Update Coming Soon :)

It's now been a day after my initial stimulation of my cochlear implant. It was certainly an interesting appointment and it's been an exhausting and stressful day working and getting some disappointing news (not related to my CI). My parents and my good friend, Michelle, who is also an audiologist came to the appointment with me. My mom is still here to "be my support" if I need her and because she wanted to go shopping. And boy did she go shopping! I'm very happy she decided to stay a couple extra days. Anyhow, I have worn my processor for most of today, which has been difficult because it's a very strange sensation to have my auditory nerve that has not be stimulated in 25 years to now receive input. In fact, I wouldn't even say that I'm actually "hearing" on my right side as much as I'm feeling the sounds. I've heard this is somewhat common for teenagers or adults who have not have the auditory nerve stimulated for a long time. I'm hoping this sensation fades and "hearing" emerges. I will go back for my follow up appointment on April 12th at which my maps will be adjusted after I've had some time to get used to it. I have much more to say but I'm exhausted and I fly home to St. Louis for Easter tomorrow after work with my mom. I will update again soon!

2 comments:

  1. yay!!! Stephanie! I am so glad that you made this blog so that we can all share in your experience, for me this is exciting as an old friend and as a professional (you know that I work at the Center for Communication, Hearing and Deafness with children with cochlear implants right?) Have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's quite an adjustment - hang in there. Can't wait to see you Sunday. Joey gets fitted with new Naida (sp?) hearing aids on April 21st. The audiologist said he would have quite an adjustment with those as well because he will be hearing sounds he's never heard. We can't wait!!! Love ya. Julie

    ReplyDelete