Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rehabing, Running, and Photos

I think I've reached a point where I'm ready for some adjustments in the programming of my CI. I can now leave it on for most of the day and not get a headache, which is a big improvement!

Last Thursday I had my first meeting with Melissa, who has graciously offered to do aural rehab with me so I can maximize my ability to hear with my CI. She did several analytical exercises with me until I reached a point that I was having more difficulty. Developing my CI listening skills is going to be hard because I already depend so much on my hearing aid ear. I had to plug up my good ear so I could try to hear only through my CI ear. I've practice my exercises a few times with Michelle today while plugging my good ear. It seems that I am confusing the vowels "eee" and "ooo" and voiceless and voiced fricatives such as "f" with "p" and "sh" with "z." I'm not even sure I'm detecting those consonant sounds. Cochlear gives CI recipients a aural rehabilitation DVD called "Sound and Way Beyond" which I've heard is good. I haven't been able to get to it yet but I'm going to try it when I get the chance.

I was really disappointed that I didn't get to run in Forest Park over the weekend, so when I got back to Dallas yesterday, I decided to run the Katy Trail with my CI on. The Katy Trail is a great running/biking trial that is less than a mile from my apartment. I put an elastic headband over the cable and around my head and it surprisingly kept everything in place. Thanks Michelle for the headbands! It was very windy which made my run very noisy as the wind brushed over the microphones constantly but it wasn't too bothersome.

I'm also noticing that my voice seems louder than normal with my CI on so it's somewhat difficult for me to tell if I'm speaking a normal loudness level or not. This will be something else I'll have to get used to.

Oh and I have pictures from when I first got my cochlear implant activated. The first picture is what my CI sound processor looks like. It blends in quite well with my hair! I got these purple plastic covers that is supposed to protect the processor but I think it's fun for kids. If I ever want it to stand out, I'll just slip it on!


In this 2nd photo, I'm carrying my big heavy briefcase filled with all my accessories and tools. All I can think of is the poor 1 to 2 year olds who get bilateral implants and have to carry 2 of these!

The next picture is one of my parents and I and then a picture of Michelle and I. I'm SOOO happy they were all able to come with me to this appointment.


No comments:

Post a Comment