Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm remapped

Today I went back for my follow up mapping appointment with the CI audiologist at UT-Southwestern. I've been waiting all week to go back because I thought sound from my CI was becoming somewhat dull and I was ready to see what changes could be made in my map. I also was excited to tell Pam things that have been happening the last 2 weeks with my CI. As I expected my impedances got lower (which is better). She remeasured each T level which is the point on each of the 22 channels that I begin to hear sound. This was VERY hard. I had a really difficult time with this because 1) I'm not sure what I'm listening for, and 2) I think my good low frequency hearing in my good ear interferes with my ability to determine if I'm hearing the beeps she presents or random noise. We expected my T levels to decrease but they were still high.

After that, she measured my C levels again (which is the point that sound becomes comfortably loud). These didn't change that much from my previous map. It was really cool to hear the pitch differences as she went from the low frequency channels to high frequency channels. I didn't think I could tell before today but I definitely could!

THEN she went "live" and immediately I could tell I was hearing fan noise and it was fairly loud. Like drowning out everything else I wanted to hear. After she decreased all my T-levels it became a lot better and I could tell the sound quality was better than before I came in today. My input dynamic range (between the T and C levels) is still narrow but if she decreased the T-levels more then I may risk not hearing soft sounds. Before today sounds such as silverware clacking on plates and people typing on the keyboard and heels on tile floor were somewhat disturbingly loud. Now those sounds are still audible but more comfortable. Things also sound a little fuller. My voice is still loud but that's to be expected and I am getting used to it. I'm happy with my changes and can't wait see what else I begin to notice with my CI!

I will be going to San Diego this week to present my research poster at the AudiologyNOW! conference. This is the largest audiology conference held each year and I've gone to it for the past 3 years. It will be great to talk about what I spent the majority of my 3rd year working on and also to see lots of familiar faces. Stayed tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment