Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New news

This came out on July 23, 2010 but check it out: The FDA has approved a rechargeable battery system for the Nucleus 5 system! This means that I, along with the many others who have received the N5 since last October has or will be receiving the rechargeable batteries soon. I have not received mine but am waiting for it's arrival. The rechargeable batteries also mean that the N5 sound processor can be surmerged under water for up to 30 minutes. I will be able to wear my N5 around the pool without worrying!

I am continuing to wear my CI everyday from the time as much as I can. Sometimes I even wear it while working out. However, the sounds of the cardio machines and weights dropping are really not that pleasant. I unfortunately am not doing as much rehab exercises as I should but am doing well when I have both hearing aid and cochlear implant on. I am working on getting a new hearing aid soon as mine is almost 4 years old and am afraid it might go out again soon...

In other news, I am now working as an audiologist at Ear, Nose, Throat office (ENT Associates) in Chesterfield. I have now been here for 5 weeks. Yay! It's great to finally put all my hard work to use! I do not see cochlear implant recipients but I see primarily adults for audios and hearing aids. I enjoy the people I work with and working with people to communicate better through hearing aid technology.

I am also working on starting a young adult chapter for the Hearing Loss Assoiciation of Greater St. Louis. If you know someone who is between the ages of 18 and 35 and would be interested, please have them contact me. Thank you! It'd be great to get young people in this area together to socialize, learn from each other, and know others are out there! :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay - that's so great, Steph!

    I did my Fall 2008 practicum at ENT Associates and learned a lot there! :) Kelly Constable was my supervisor, but I also got to work with Jayma and Laura (though I'm not sure if any of them are still there).

    Glad you are doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I've always admired everything you've done with all this stuff. I'm still impressed. Glad to hear you're doing pretty well. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool about the N5. I want hearing aids that can be submerged for up to 30 minutes! That would be awesome.

    See you in Crystal City, VA in 2011 for Convention?

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete